There are so many beautiful flowers in the garden now that they just make me happy. If you have an abundance of flowers by all means bring some in the house to enjoy too but just looking out and seeing them or walking in the garden will bring sunshine to your day.
Here are some of my favorite flowers:
1. If you are lucky enough to live in in climate like I do you will see a lot of these fuschia bouganvillas blooming all through the summer and fall. They come in other colors but these are my very favorite. They make a wonderful shock of color on walls and by doorways.
2. Orchids always look elegant and there are so many species and colors available. If you buy them for inside the house and live in a mild climate you can plant them outside and they will bloom again next year! I'm so lucky to live in California!
3. Even these tiny peacock orchids are gorgeous.
4. Tulips, although short lived, are so graceful and elegant.
5. Lilacs - purple, pink or white - love the smell!
6. English rose - so delicate and feminine!
7. Love all roses - especially the ones that smell good!
8. Sweet peas smell wonderful too and are easy to grow from seed.
9. Daffodils are the first sign of spring and always a delight! something about that bright yellow just fills the house with sunshine in the spring.
10. Poppies are so colorful and the orange California poppies (California State flower) dot the highways and grow wild. Orange adds such a spark of life to other colors, especially green.
11. The gorgeous huge blossoms of rhodendron are enchanting - especially in the Northwest. There are varieties of all sizes and colors. I love azaleas too.
12. Of course wisteria is magical too and gorgeous in either purple or white. Lucky the people who have a trellis or covered patio to grow it on.
Link to previous blogs here.
Please call me if you need Interior Design help!
408-369-9801 or email me
Lila Levinson, ASID, CKD, CID, NKBA, NCIDQ, IDG
The holidays are just past and those credit card bills are coming in now so there's not so much money available to brighten up your home, but here are a few simple ideas to jump start the New Year.
1. Painting a wall or a room is an inexpensive quick fix and if you get tired of it you can always change it again. These broad horizontal stripes are an unexpected surprise.
2. Of course you could just paint one wall for some drama.
3. Here's an eye catching idea - arrange your books by color (not height) or cover them in some bright colored book covers that you make yourself. You could do a wall of jewel tone book covers for instance.
4. Pick a color that is already in your room like these pendant lights and add some colored filters or gels to your cove or skylight lighting.
5. If you have a bookcase or cabinet with little interest, blow up a photocopy of your favorite recipe and paste it to the back wall. Add a clear coat over it to protect it. You could also blow up parts of a book or letter or whatever is personal to you to use in other parts of the house.
6. Chalkboard paint can instantly transform a door (or wall) into a great place for notes, shopping lists, recipes, children's art work, etc.
7. Have you ever hung a mobile in your home? They are unexpected and fun and come in a lot of different sizes, shapes, colors and materials.
8. Don't have a headboard? Make one of a floor screen, gate, some old doors or simply get some plywood, cover it in foam and then upholster it with fabric.
9. You can add some punch to a neutral room by adding throws like these or even some new throw pillows in bright colors.
10. Last, but certain not least, is to always nice have some fresh flowers or colorful branches in the house to give it life!
Please call me if I can be of any help!
408-369-9801 or email me
Lila Levinson, ASID, CKD, CID