Have you been frustrated with your kitchen but don’t know what to do with it short of a full gut and remodel?
1. Change the counter tops for a completely new and up to date look. It’s not the cheapest thing you can do but one of the most effective. You may have to update a cook top and sink at the same time so they can be under mounted but at least you don’t have to do a full remodel. This is also a great opportunity to install a full height new back splash of tile or maybe glass, (which is so hot these days) from counter to wall cabinets.
Go for a real color on your cabinets
2. Paint our cabinets. Various shades of white always work but you can paint them actual colors or other neutral shades like black, taupe, tan, gray or re stain them. Although this island is obviously a contemporary addition you could paint your existing island a bold color like this red to liven up the room.
3. Add (or replace) hardware to your cabinets. Many kitchen just have cabinets with finger pulls and adding hardware adds some jewelery to dress your kitchen up.
4. Replace your window with a greenhouse window. It will bring in more light and give you a place for plants. The added benefit is that your windows won’t get splashed any more.
5. Change out your ceiling fixtures or add new decorative pendants over an island or peninsula eating bar.
6. Speaking of lighting – add under cabinets lighting. You will have much better task lighting on your counters and with the new LED strips you don’t need much lip on your cabinets to hide the lights. Be sure to place the lighting at the front of the upper cabinets so it washes the counter not the back splash!
7. Paint the walls a bold color to contrast with the cabinets. It will change the whole look of the room.
8. Change the window coverings for a sleek new up to date look.
9. Replace a worn floor. There are many new products that have good wearing ability and will refresh the room.
10. Do you have a place for a pot rack? It can add some character to the kitchen.
11. Change a couple cabinet doors to glass. They can be clear or frosted but remember to add lighting inside and use glass shelves. There are lots of textures available on the market these days. This kitchen by Dzignit.
12. Change your sink to an apron front sink. Kohler has one that can be retrofitted into your existing cabients. This is best done when you are also changing the countertop.