interior_design_mug-resized-600Every profession has it’s own special language and Interior Design, Architecture and Construction are no different.

Each week I will be giving you definitions for words beginning with different letters of the alphabet and will continue through the alphabet until we are done with all the letters.

Here are some definitions beginning with the letter “J”



A jobot is a French term used to describe a portion of a drapery that hangs down on the sides of the drape or swag and is pleated with in cascading design that reveals the back side of the drape also.  Sometimes the back side is lined with a different color so it adds more interest.



A jamb is an important part of a doorway or window.  As you can see in the pictures it is the wood that seals off the opening and surrounds the door or window.  It is not the trim on the wall side, which is the casing.  It is the wooden part where the door latch is mounted as in the upper center picture.


joinery-resized-600Joinery is a woodworking term used to describe how the pieces are “joined” together.  There are many different types of joints such as dovetail, finger, butt, biscuit, tongue and groove, mortise and tenon, dowel, etc.



A joist is a structural piece used in construction which runs from beam to beam and can be made of wood, metal or concrete.  It is most commonly installed with metal hangers.  It supports a floor, ceiling or roof. It can run on top of the beams also as in the bottom pictures.



Junction boxes are used to make up wire connections.  They are behind a cover plate for outlets and switches and sometimes they have blank covers on them if they are just being used to continue the wires through to the next location. They must be accessibe by code.