Every profession has it’s own special language and Interior Design, Architecture and Construction are no different.

Each week I will be giving you definitions for words beginning with different letters of the alphabet and will continue until we are done with all the letters.

Here are some more definitions with the letter “T” continued from last week.

Trompe L’Oeil


Trompe L’Oeil is a French word for fool the eye or fake.  It is a technique used to make the flat surface look three dimensional through the use of scale and shadows.  It is often quite realistic and actually does “fool the eye”.

 Trumeau or Trumeaux


Trumeau mirrors are widely used today and are usually reproductions of the original French mirrors on a board with elaborate carving or a  painting on the upper portion.  In old architecture it is that elaborately carved and decorated portion above a doorway.



The term tufting is used in making carpets that are made by a machine that pulls “tufts” (small twisted pieces or strings of yarn) of yarn through the backing material.  Afterwards it can be cut or left in loops or a combination of the two for the finished surface of the carpet.



Tulle is that beautifully feminine soft net fabric used for wedding dresses, tutus and decorating. It drapes beautifully and has a diaphanous look to it.


Tuxedo sofas have the same height arms and back. They come in all sizes, styles and shapes but have that one thing in common.