KITCHEN DESIGN - 6 Fabulous Kitchen Island Ideas
If you are planning to remodel a kitchen you might want some ideas for designing an island and here are some great ones to give you inspiration. An island can become the functional centerpiece of the room.
1. This island is perfect for a galley kitchen such as this. Using a mix of materials makes the island interesting. The glass eating counter is curved and supported with wood posts for an artful display that is dramatic but visually light weight.
2. A stainless steel counterstop makes this island a real winner and is easily cleaned. The gentle curve at the end is just right for two stools and the cooktop in the island offers a great view out the windows.
3. This large island offers tremendous counter space, an eating bar and display space! The countertop is concrete on the elevated part and a light colored stone or quartz on the lower sink level. The elevated section breaks up the view into the kitchen so messy counters aren't visible from the adjoining rooms. (source Houzz)
4. Sometimes two islands instead of one is the answer so keep an open mind and consider traffic flow.
5. If you have a support post in the middle of the room you can incorporate it into your island and add a fake one on the other end of the island. It will look like it was part of the design without the post being a distraction. You can use shaped columns for more traditional or classical kitchens or simple ones like these in contemporary or shaker kitchens.
6. For an industrial look why not use a rolling cart like this? If you have tight spaces small islands on wheels can also be used and rolled out of the way when you need more room.
Link to previous blogs here
I am a Certified Kitchen Designer and would be happy to help with your remodel.
Please call for help with your Interior Design projects!
408-369-9801 or email me
Lila Levinson, ASID, CKD, CID, NKBA, NCIDQ, IDG